The project will focus its activities on three priority virus groups, responsible of major human viral diseases for which the development of drugs is considered essential: flaviviridae (Dengue), picornaviridae (enterovirus 71) and paramyxoviridae (RCV and hMPV). On the other hand, exploratory researches will be performed on other virus families that have the potential to cause epidemics, like the arenaviruses group, alphaviruses, bunyaviruses, coronaviruses and noroviruses .
The SILVER project contains 6 work packages.
SILVER WP1 will centralize and coordinate cell culture-based screening and validation activities and aim to:
- discover compounds with antiviral activity using cell-culture based assays for virus replication
- validate activity of hit compounds delivered by WP2 and WP3 and support the hit-to-lead optimization process
- identify targets and unravel mechanisms of action of newly discovered antiviral inhibitors
- develop improved and/or biosafe(r) systems for antiviral screening in cell culture models
- support the antiviral discovery process by advanced virus genomics and bioinformatics
- develop a SILVER outbreak pipeline for rapid molecular dissection of newly emerging RNA viruses.